Last year I read 38 books, up from 32 the previous year. I’m still prioritizing books that I have physical copies of and want to decide if I want to keep or not. In the absence of a really clear priority (for instance, reading Northanger Abbey or The Last Unicorn), I use a book randomizer I made in Excel that is weighted towards books I have a physical copy of (marked with asterisks). Of course, if past years are any indication, then the list is a formality, since most of my reading comes from the “additional” bits, but this year I was honest with myself and added a few books I’m planning on reading.
Anyway, here’s my TBR (To-Be-Read list) for 2023!
- Bold green text denotes a book I read
- Bold blue text denotes a book I read that was not originally on the list
- (Audio) denotes a book I read in audiobook format
- (Hybrid) denotes a book I read simultaneously in audiobook and traditional formats.
- * Denotes a book I’m “prioritizing” because I already have a physical copy.
Books on Initial List: 83
- Books from List Read: 2
- Additional Books Read: 1
- Total Books This Year: 3
- Last Updated March 11, 2023.
- Last Updated March 11, 2023.
- Austen, Jane. Northanger Abbey.*
- Bage, Robert. Hermsprong.*
- Barris, Chuck. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.*
- Baxter, Stephen. The Time Ships.
- Ballard, JG. High-Rise.
- —. The Terminal Beach*
- —. The Unlimited Dream Company.*
- —. The Voices of Time.*
- Barth, John. Giles Goat-Boy.*
- Beagle, Peter S. The Last Unicorn.
- Bradbury, Ray. The Toynbee Convector.*
- Bulgakov, Mikhail. The Master and Margarita.*
- Butler, Jack. Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock.*
- Carillo, Ellen C. Teaching Readers in Post-Truth America.*
- Delany, Samuel. Empire Star.
- Dick, Philip K. Confessions of a Crap Artist.*
- —. Ubik.
- Dreyer, Benjamin. Dreyer’s English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style.
- Dumas, Alexandre. The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Dunn, Katherine. Geek Love.
- Faulkner, William. Light in August.*
- —. Mosquitoes.
- Gerrold, David. The Man Who Folded Himself.
- Hall, Steven. The Raw Shark Texts.*
- Heinlein, Robert A. Friday.*
- Held Evans, Rachel. Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again.
- Hurley, Kameron. The Light Brigade.
- Jemisin, N.K. The City We Became.*
- Johnson, Mat. Invisible Things.
- Jones, Diana Wynne. Howl’s Moving Castle.
- Kazantzakis, Nikos. The Last Temptation of Christ.
- Keel, Elizabeth A.M. Running Into Trouble.*
- King, Maxwell. The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers.*
- Lewis, Sinclair. Elmer Gantry.
- Liu Cixin. The Three Body Problem.
- McKay, Claude. Amiable with Big Teeth.*
- Miller, Walter M. A Canticle for Leibowitz.
- Morimi, Tomihikio. The Tatami Galaxy.*
- Muir, Tamsyn. Nona the Ninth.
- Newitz, Annalee. Four Lost Cities: A Secret History of the Urban Age.
- Priest, Christopher. The Prestige.
- Russ, Joanna. The Female Man.
- Salesses, Matthew. Craft in the Real World.*
- Saunders, George. Civilwarland in Deep Decline.
- Scalzi, John. Old Man’s War.
- Setterfield, Diane. The Thirteenth Tale.
- Silverberg, Robert. Up the Line.
- Smith, Emma. Portable Magic: A History of Books and Their Readers.*
- Tanpinar, Ahmet Hamdi. The Time Regulation Institute.*
- Takami, Koshun. Battle Royale.
- Thompson, Hunter S. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- Willis, Connie. The Doomsday Book.*
Banks, Iain M. The Culture Series
- Consider Phlebas
- The Player of Games.
- Use of Weapons.
- The State of the Art.
- Look to Windward.
- Surface Detail.
- The Hydrogen Sonata.
Jordan, Robert. The Wheel of Time Saga.
- Knife of Dreams.
- (and Brandon Sanderson). The Gathering Storm.
- (and Brandon Sanderson). Towers of Midnight.
- (and Brandon Sanderson). A Memory of Light.
LeGuin, Ursula K. The Earthsea Saga
- The Farthest Shore.
- Tales from Earthsea.
- The Other Wind.
—. The Hainish Cycle.
- Rocannon’s World.
- Planet of Exiles
- City of Illusions.
- The Left Hand of Darkness.
- The Dispossessed.
- “The Word for World is Forest.”
- Four Ways to Forgiveness.
- The Telling.
L’Engle, Madeline. The Time Quintet.
- A Wrinkle in Time.*
- A Wind in the Door.*
- A Swiftly Tilting Planet.*
- Many Waters.*
- An Acceptable Time.*
- Pratchett, Terry. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents.